Friday, September 18, 2009

"Just puke it out!"

10:00 am

Blogging is really hard! (try to hear that in the whiniest way possible). I'm a writer by trade, so I've grown into a writing process that's kinda counter to the idea of blogging. Once I get an idea in my head, I kick it around for awhile, anywhere from a few minutes to a few days, usually while I'm engaged in some mundane activity. I flesh out my best ideas for writing projects while I'm running laps at the gym. (As much as I eat, I do what I can to counter the affects on my gut and my ass). I plug in my headphones, but don't turn the music on. I just leave my Ipod shuffle clipped to my sweaty shirt. Everyone thinks I'm singing along to the music in my head. But really I'm talking out the ideas for my writing project. It's the only time I can talk to myself aloud without being taken for a crazy man who should be gulping down his meds but obviously isn't'.

11:15 am

I pretty much mapped out a general arc for the blog in a couple of trips to the gym, which gives me some basic parameters within which I can work. The problem is getting the individual entries out of my head and onto the page. I'm a firm believer that writing is all about revision. Getting the ideas out is the easy part. But fine-tuning your thoughts and crafting them into something pithy or smart or funny is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

11:45 am

So I've had to make some adjustments if this blog is ever going to get off the ground. I'm taking advice that Allen Ginsberg once gave me in a creative writing class. He said, "First thought, best thought. Just puke it out." Considering my very first blog entry took a week to write, and my second one took almost that long, it's time to start throwing out words and let them fall where they may. No more neat and tidy prose that's planned out ahead of time, reworded, reordered, or revised. It's spontaneous Me from here on out.

12:30 pm

Like a nicotine addict who just quit smoking, I feel an uncontrollable urge to go back and edit what I've already written. At this point, I can't even go back and read it because I'll get sucked in and want to do a complete makeover. I'm going to lunch so I won't be tempted.

(Hey, that only took two and a half hours!)

No comments:

Post a Comment